Skip to main content

Virasoro, Corrientes

afforestation in forestry area

Afforestation
6500
hectares.
1100000
carbon credits.
2,000,000
planted trees.
Forestación
6500
Hectáreas.
1100000
créditos de carbono.
2,000,000
árboles plantados.

Project Overview

Rolón Cué is an ambitious afforestation project spanning over 6,500 hectares in Corrientes Province, Northeastern Region of Argentina. These once-degraded lands, worn down by decades of unsustainable grazing and agriculture, now stand at the forefront of a pioneering initiative dedicated to ceasing degradation and revitalizing the regional environment.

Rolon Cué integrates native and exotic species strategically, thereby yielding high-quality timber and non-timber byproducts while simultaneously establishing new patches of managed native forests. The plantation designs are intricately tailored to specific local conditions, promoting symbiotic relationships between species. Among the carefully selected native species are lapacho, timbo, guatambu, guayubira, caroba, and grapia. Exotic varieties, including pine and eucalyptus, play a crucial role in sheltering native species from frosts, wind, and high radiation. Upon completion, 42% of the regenerated hectares will stand with native species in perpetuity, with the remaining 58% featuring exotic varieties.

Through soil restoration and tree afforestation, Rolón Cué contributes to expanding carbon sinks and enhancing carbon sequestration, while simultaneously enhancing the well-being of local community members in the project’s vicinity through a balanced combination of environmental and social initiatives.

Rolón Cué is expected to generate +1,100,000 carbon credits over the project’s full life, to be certified by the Verified Carbon (VCS) and the Climate, Community & Biodiversity (CCB) Standards.

Social and Environmental Impact

Rolón Cué is committed not only to environmental conservation but also to addressing the socio-economic needs of the local community. In 2023, Rolón Cué undertook comprehensive social and biodiversity baseline studies led by local experts, including sociologists, biologists, and ecologists. This process involved conducting over 80 in-depth interviews with local stakeholders and implementing environmental sampling campaigns across various seasons.

In these studies, Rolón Cué emerged as a sanctuary for over one-third of the native flora in Corrientes, making a substantial contribution to regional biodiversity. Preliminary findings from the biodiversity baseline revealed an impressive array of 942 vascular plant taxa, with 95% representing native species. Additionally, the project holds diverse ecosystems, ranging from wetlands to low and high grasslands and hosting numerous high-value conservation species (HVCS). These ecosystems encompass the ecological richness that Rolón Cué aims to protect and foster. 

Parallelly, our social baseline studies uncovered local demands, including a need for environmental education, recreational spaces, and solutions to housing deficits. Insights from these studies, coupled with two stakeholder consultations, serve as the foundation for our socio-environmental action plan in the Gobernador Virasoro region. 

The results from these baseline studies were carefully integrated into our management programs, ensuring that our afforestation efforts did not compromise the habitats of local species. A prime example was when the endangered Yetapá de Collar bird species was detected in the biodiversity baseline study. In response to this, our plantation design was adjusted to preserve the species’ grassland habitat, demonstrating our commitment to conservation.